I know this section is entitled "Friday" but I did not want to leave out my wonderful Thursday.
So thursday, after hanging with Claire and her friends at school for an hour, I went to music class where the teacher had me conduct. I know I am so not as good as any of Westmoore Drum Majors but it was fun. Even if I totally screwed up: all the time. After that class, Madame Shaw took Samantha, Kristen, and I to the open-air market! It was so much fun to walk through all the stands of vendors and look at everything. I bought two écharpes (scarves) for 2 euros each! It was so much fun! After four wonderful hours, we had to go back to le lycée (the high school) :-( Heheh.
Anyway, Friday was our lovely trip to the Normandy beaches! The four fellows; Chebon, Kristen, Samantha, and I; and Madame Shaw boarded a train from Abbeville to Amiens. When we arrived, we had to run out of a "Harry Potter door" (Please do not ask me to explain that one, Samantha understands it so much better than I do.) So, as i was saying, we ran out of this "Harry Potter door" and ... waited for the bus. They made quite a fus over the necessity of being swift and running from our train so as to not make the others wait on us. Whatever. C'est la vie - That's life. Once the bus arrived, it was a four hour drive to our first stop; The Utah Beach. On the way we passed under this awesome bridge - Le Pont de Normandie Bridge.

(I posted a picture, but I dont know if it worked or not...)
We, meaning the Classen group along with L'Alliance Français group, had a wonderful tour guide - he was a history teacher in the Normandie region. He told us all about the beaches and the history of D-day.
Side note: the French call D-Day Le Jour-J. It means the same thing, I just thought you would like to know. :-)
On our tour we saw the Utah and Omaha beaches, along with a German cemetery and the American cemetery above the Omaha beach. And Madame Robillard, I had enough time to find one of our Oklahoma soldiers. We had lunch at Le Ponte du Hoc, inside a crater.
Yes, inside a crater. It was fun :-)
The ride back was just as long, but I got to talk to Rachel, a girl from Classen, which was nice. My Friday ended with a lovely dinner - hand-made by Claire's mom.
A Bientôt
My picture didn't post :-(
ReplyDeletesounds like it has been fun so far !!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhen Samantha gets home, she must explain this Harry Potter door thing to me...
ReplyDelete