Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesday

Hello from Abbeville; this is Jeanne.
Everything is wonderful here in Abbeville: I just figured out that you do not pronounce the e so it sounds like Abville. Just a side note. Anyway today started in the same as before, waking at 6:30 except we left at 7:30 today. This morning I attended 4 English classes. Yes, 4. In a row. Heheh. The first class I was with Claire and the entire class asked me questions in English. It was wierd to be a "native speaker". But it was nice. They even said that my English accent was prettier than their teacher's.(All  the English teachers have a British accent when they speak and it is kinda funny.) They asked me questions anywhere from what I liked to do to what I thought of France to what I think about Barrack Obama. I really like the accents they have when they speak English.

After that English class, I met up with Chebon and we went downstairs to a class that had a British teacher; it was in this class that we compared British English with American English. It was cool to talk to the teacher. After one short period with him, we stayed and had another. The class did the exact same thing. Anyway, Samantha and Kristen eventually came down to the class and the four Americans were together. After the second class comparing British and American English, we went back up stairs to yet one more English class. The cool thing about all these English classes is that they were not the same: each hour had different students and a different attitude and it was interesting to see.

After the 4 English classes, I went to my first French Math class. And they were learning about the unit circle. It will never leave me alone :-( But I paid attention and should get extra credit, ;-). Hahahah. Anyway, we then went to lunch with Madame Shaw and she told us that we could be good students and finish out the school day, or we could skip school and go with her on a tour of Abbeville to buy our tickets to go to Paris.

And by the way, we are going to Paris tomorrow :-D

So like the horrible students we are, the four Americans skipped school and walked all around Abbeville.It was so cute! All of it could be on  postcard. I took photos and as soon as i figure out how to upload them, I will put them on this blog. Like I was saying, we went all aound and we saw the local cathédral and stopped in at a few shops. And I regretted eating lunch because there were so many pasteries that I wanted to eat them all. Heheh. I am a sucker for French chocolates and sweets. :-) We must have walked around for 3 hours. It was awesome! But the fun had to end and we went back to the school and I went with Claire to her last class today: science.

Madame has taken the liberty of putting some pictures of Abbeville here so we can have a visual:

A convent that was bombed and destroyed in World War II:

The church of St. Vulfran




It is getting so much easier to talk to everybody because they are starting to remember that they speak too fast for me to understand them. I feel like I am teaching them English in exchange for this because, besides the English teachers and the other fellows, no one speaks to me in English. (Unless they are, of course, in English class) I   find it really nice, because it forces me to listen to everything they say.

Oh Madame, you would be so proud! Yesterday, Samantha and I were talking in French and I forgot how to form a certain tense, so I pulled out the notecards we made. Yay for notecards!!

One thing that really struck me is the architecture. On one side of the road there are very old buildings with pock marks from the second world war still scarring their face. And on the other side, you have a completly modern house with a satillite dish on the roof. It seems funny to me.

Anyway, I believe that is al from today. Tomorrow is our first visit to Paris!


à bientôt

2 comments:

  1. I love the details, Jeanne. Indeed, "YAY!" for notecards! I am so glad you got to wander in Abbeville. Please do post some pictures, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to ask: Did you get to see any sort of Mardi Gras celebration? Did you get to eat crêpes? We made masques in class...

    ReplyDelete