Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Monday and Tuesday

Hey there! Jeanne here!

I have been blessed with so many things that I cannot begin to describe how I feel!

Monday was spent in Abbeville. I spent almost the entire day with her! At 1:00, I left her and had a wonderful interview with the music teacher of Claire's school. I was very nervous going into the interview because she was my first taped interview in french. Thank God Madame Shaw was there to help me!! Right after her interview, the four fellows: Chebon, Kristen, Samantha, and I had an interview with a local journalist who is doing a story about us in the paper!!! I am going to find the paper and bring it home for you all to see!! He had us talk about our projects and our time in France! He was super nice and I cannot wait to see how the story looks!

Tuesday was spent in Amiens. At 8 in the morning, Madame Shaw and I stood in front of the school in Abbeville and waited for Mr. Simmons to arrive. He had graciously offered to drive us from the school in Abbeville to Amiens. On the way there, Madame Shaw and he talked about everything under the sun; and I understood only half of what they said. I concentrated on not worrying too much about the day. I was very nervous because I was to go with the music teacher who did not speak much English to a rehearsal where I was to meet the two professional Bassoonists who did not speak much English to talk to them about music. I was then to meet two friends that I had not seen in two years in front of the Conservatoire of Music, without having a phone number to call them to let them know if something went wrong.

But, I should not have worried! At all! The rehearsal was a rehearsal of L'Orchestre de Picardie, which is a professional orchestra that travels around the Picardie region giving performances. I am going to attend one of these performances this Thursday night. :-)

During a break in the rehearsal, I was introduced to the two bassoonists and we had a wonderful talk about music. We, of course, spent most of the time talking about bassoons and bassoon music and french composers. He gave me quite a list of french composers who have writen brilliant bassoon music! I got quite a lot done during this rehearsal and I was really happy that the music teacher had arranged for me to go!

The rest of the day was spent with Allison and Cassandre. For those who do not know, I visited France with Madame Robillard in 2009 and I stayed with a family: Allison's family. I was so happy to see her and Cassandre because, as I said before, I had not seen them in two years! We talked and walked around Amiens for a few hours as we caught up. I was so sad when it came time for them to leave!

They said something really nice to me; since I stayed with them in 2009, they knew that I did not speak french very well. Today, one of the first thing they said to me was that my french was GREATLY imporved! I could actually understand what they were saying!

After a wonderful afternoon, Madame Shaw and I drove back to Abbeville with Mr. Simmons and I just had a wonderful dinner!

Paris, Part 2, is tomorrow!

Till then
 

1 comment:

  1. Jeanne: It sounds like you are really doing good work on your project. I am also so glad that you got to meet up with Allison and Cassandre. I got to meet a girl from Montdidier who will be coming to live with me for three weeks in July. Isn't this French Connection wonderful.

    ReplyDelete